Working from home has become a standard part of the job, and those without consistent Wi-Fi rely on their hotspots to complete their tasks. Even though it works without much trouble, at least some of us have faced the issue and you might have wondered why does my hotspot keep turning off. Turning the hotspot on and off again during work can cost us time, and it is not always easy to continue this time-consuming process.
There are many features on our mobile phones that we are unaware of, which can result in the turning off of the hotspot. If you have encountered any such issue and the simple methods have not helped you resolve the issue, here are a few things that you need to check in order to get back on track.
How To Fix Hotspot Keep Turning Off Issue On Android?
Here are a few solutions for android users to try if your hotspot keeps turning off on its own;
1. Data Plan Reached Limit
If the hotspot is from your mobile phone, it is known that the data has a limit that is set by the service provider. Check your data limit to make sure that you have not reached it. If you have exceeded the plan limit, that can be the reason for the shutdown of your hotspot.
- To check the data limit on your android phone;
- Go to the settings menu on your phone and open Wi-Fi & Networks.
- Click on Data Usage
- Check the data that has been spent. If it is above the data plan, then the hotspot will not work.
2. The Timeout Setting of the Device
The latest phones have new features that help reduce battery consumption. One such feature is the turning off of hotspots if they are not connected to a device for a set amount of time. While some phones allow the user to reset the setting, others do not allow this.
- In order to check the settings on your Android phone;
- In the phone’s Settings, open the Hotspot & Tethering option.
- Go to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Check for the “Turn off hotspot automatically” option.
- Turn the setting on or off according to your needs.
It should be noted that the settings may vary slightly depending on the mobile phone, but almost every phone has the same setting under this same option.
Unfortunately, this timeout setting is not provided by iOS.
3. Check the Battery Saver Mode
The battery-saver mode on our phones looks for actions that may quickly drain the battery.
Turning on the hotspot, especially if it is set to 5 GHz, can have a significant impact on battery charge, and most phones automatically turn off the hotspot if the battery saver is enabled.
So if you want to continue using your hotspot, make sure that the battery saver mode of your phone is turned off.
4. External Disturbances of Out of Range
Just like Bluetooth, there is an ideal range for your mobile hotspot too. In general, the range for your hotspot to work without interference should be around 30 feet. Once the device is taken out of this ideal range, users might notice a drastic change in the performance of their device.
If you are still in the range of the hotspot and the hotspot keeps turning off, then chances are high that it could be some external device that is interfering with the signal from your hotspot.
The disturbance can be from a surrounding hotspot or any other external device. While comparing the range of the devices, a PC can offer a better range, but the best will be provided by a router.
5. Defect in the System
If you’ve tried all of the steps above and are still having trouble with connectivity and hotspots, one of the most likely reasons is that your system is broken.
If you’re using an old device to set up the hotspot, it could be faulty due to a lack of software updates or another issue.
These kinds of problems can also be caused by bugs, in which case the device won’t work well as a hotspot.
Why Does My Hotspot Keep Turning Off Issue Fix On IOS
If you have an iOS device and are having the same problem with your hotspot, here are a few ways to fix the problem and make your hotspot work better.
While the majority of the reasons can be the same as those mentioned above, there can be a few differences in the settings for iOS users.
1. Ensure Hotspot is turned on
The foremost step to connecting your device to a hotspot is to make sure that the hotspot feature is turned on.
2. Check the Daily Data limit
Just like Android phones, this case is applicable to iOS users, as the daily data limit is set by the service provider.
If the hotspot keeps turning off, check to see if you have crossed the daily data limit provided by your service provider according to your data plans.
If you are still not over your data limit, then the problem can be any of the reasons listed below.
3. Check if Low Data Mode is Switched on
The Low Power Mode on iPhones, like the battery-saver mode on Android phones, may be one reason for your hotspot keeps turning off.
Follow the steps below to determine if your iPhone is in low Data Mode.
- Open the Settings option on your iPhone
- In Settings, open the Data and Sim option
- The option Low Data Mode will appear at the bottom of the screen
- If the option is turned on, then disable the option.
4. Rest your Network Settings
In order to reset the network settings on your iPhone;
- Go into Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap open the General Setting
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Reset Network Setting on your phone.
- This will solve the “hotspot keeps turning off” issue if it is associated with the network settings of your phone.
Your hotspot can face some issues if there are any defects in the carrier settings of your iPhone. Make sure that your iPhone updates the settings automatically when it is connected to Wi-Fi and if it does not update, make sure to do it manually. To keep the carrier settings in check;
- Go to Settings and choose General
- Choose About and then scroll down until you reach the SIM details.
- Check the version of Network Provider you are currently on and then tap there to update it to the latest version.
- Once the update is completed, reboot your phone and try connecting the personal hotspot once more.
5. Software Update
If your hotspot is still having trouble establishing a steady connection, chances are that there is an issue with your iOS version. If your iPhone is not updated to the latest version, chances are that the phone will fail to reach its optimum performance.
To update your iPhone to the latest version;
- Go to your Settings
- Choose General from the Settings
- Choose Software Update
- Once the update is complete, reboot your phone.
So, if you are facing any such trouble with your hotspot, try the above-mentioned steps to restore the performance and also to stay connected, be it on Android or iOs. We hope this post answered your question about why does my hotspot keep turning off.
Stay tuned to LifestyleUG for more updates
Leave a Reply